So you’ve found Made Safe. Welcome! We’re your go-to source to help keep your home, your body and your family safe from unwanted and uninvited chemicals and ingredients that can harm your health.
Here are six things you can do right now to make a difference—for your health and to actually change the way products are made:
1. Switch to MADE SAFE certified products. By supporting companies who are making safe products, you have an enormous amount of economic power to shift the marketplace away from toxic chemicals. Companies watch what you buy closely, and when the big corporations see your demand for nontoxic products, change will happen quickly.
2. Sign up for our email list to keep up on the most recent news from Made Safe. We only send emails once/month with important news like new certified products and nontoxic tips.
3. Give money. Every dollar you give helps us screen more products, research more ingredients, and close data gaps to bring you more MADE SAFE certified products—and ultimately get toxics out of things we use every day forever.
4. Host an event. We’ll help you host an event with your friends to share the Made Safe approach to healthier living. The more people we educate about toxics in products, the faster we can fix the problem.
5. Sign our Safe Products Manifesto. Join the growing movement calling for a safe and sustainable future without harmful chemicals. And then share it with your friends!
6. Try a few of these free & easy tips for a healthier home:
- Create a shoe-free zone: take off your shoes at the front door to stop tracking in chemicals from outside.
- Open your windows for 15 minutes a day, especially before bedtime, to let volatile organic compounds (VOCs) out and fresh air in.
- Get the pesticides out: avoid antibacterial soaps and washes, and remove obvious home and garden pesticides and insecticides.
- Use less products with “fragrance” on the label, which is a code word for hundreds of secret chemicals, many of which are harmful.
- Switch to a multi-purpose cleaner. We’ve been convinced that we need a different cleaning product for every surface, but usually a multi-purpose cleaner is all you need for general cleaning – and it reduces your exposure to the many chemicals in all the rest of those cleaners you’d otherwise be using.
Want more tips? We’ve got lots! Check them out here.