We’ve pulled this go-to resource together with some of our best tips for healthy living, for anyone looking to cultivate healthier lifestyle habits and a safer home environment.
Body & Mind
Care for yourself with healthy habits
- Practice good hygiene
- Sleep: aim for 8 hours every night
- Hydrate: although individual needs can vary based upon lifestyle, aim for eight 8-ounce glasses per day
- Eat whole foods
- Exercise regularly
- Choose nontoxic products
- Take care – mentally & emotionally
- Incorporate laughter into your day
- Make space for play and creative expression
- Get moving
- Be involved in community.
Use when soap & water is not available. Look for:
- Simple non-active ingredients like water, glycerin, and plant oils
- Safer active ingredients such as ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol
- Avoid: hand sanitizers with parabens, PEGs, “fragrance,” or colors or dyes listed on labels.
Handwashing The How
- Wash hands often for at least 20 seconds with soap and water
- Fully dry hands
- Look for: plain old soap and water
- Avoid: parabens, phthalates, triclosan & other antibacterials, PEGs, isothiazolinone preservatives.
- When choosing a face mask, look for high-quality natural materials, such as organic cotton
- Avoid “stain resistant” or “wrinkle-free” fabrics
- Avoid materials labeled as “antibacterial” or “antimicrobial”
- Wash the mask regularly using nontoxic detergent.
Keep your indoor air healthy
- Open your windows for at least 10 minutes a day, when air quality is good
- Use safe cleaning products
- Use proper ventilation if utilizing conventional cleaners
- Vacuum with a HEPA filter often
- Avoid fragranced products
- Dust frequently with a damp cloth
- Properly vent your appliances.
Cleaning vs. disinfecting
- Cleaning = the removal of germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces. By removing germs, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.
- Disinfecting = using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. The process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs.
Choose safer cleaning products
- Look for the MADE SAFE® seal
- Choose products with all of the ingredients listed on the label
- Choose a multi-purpose cleaner
- DIY your own cleaners.
When to clean
- Prior to disinfecting
- After using a harsh cleaner
- On a regular basis for general cleanliness.
What to clean with
- Wipes – 100 percent biodegradable materials like cotton or bamboo. Make sure the wipe itself is NOT plastic
- Paper towels –natural fibers like paper and bamboo, whitened without the use of chlorine bleach
- Reusable cloths – natural fibers such as cotton (even better if it’s organic). Old cotton tee-shirts make great cleaning cloths!
Choose safer disinfectants
- Citric acid
- Hydrogen peroxide
- L-lactic acid
- Alcohol (ethanol & isopropanol)
Where to disinfect in the home
- High-use surfaces such as doorknobs, remotes, faucets, etc.
- Surfaces touched by ill household members.
How to disinfect
- Properly ventilate the room (especially if using harsh cleaners)
- Wear gloves
- Follow label instructions
- Clean surfaces prior to disinfecting
- Clean surfaces with a nontoxic cleaner after using harsh cleaners
- Disinfect properly based on your surface type.